Sunday, January 19, 2014

Frog Dissection Lab

Frog Dissection


Today in Biology we were able to do the one and only Frog Dissection! I was really excited to this this Lab because I've seen many show/movies with children dissecting frogs but today was the day I was able to dissect a frog myself!



Top of Frog

The frog looks like the average Grass Frog, with a green and brown body with a few black spots scattered throughout. It has 2 small front legs and 2 long back legs which are used for jumping.



Bottom of Frog

The whole bottom side is filled with a yellow/white colour.



Here is a close-up of the frog's hands (front legs). They don't look that special, other than maybe using them to help land or grip onto a surface.



In this photo you can see that the back legs of the frog are "web-like" which makes it very useful for swimming in water.



Frogs are well-known for their long tongues for catching bugs but unfortunately the size cannot be determined because I wasn't able to pull it out maybe due to the fact that this frog has been "not living" for quite a while now. But you can definitely see that the tongue is still there and fresh.



Once we were able to cut through the skin and muscle, we saw EVERYTHING! It was as if I was living a dream because of how similar the organs are to the humans.



After some thorough dissecting, we were able to separate all the organs to show a clear picture or in other words a "Smaller version of the Human Organs".

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information! It is very helpful for me, I always don't understand the process perfectly and I search on internet to understand it beter. So for that I thank you for this post! But I think that is also important to have an good dissection kit to do it, so I recommend to have one. If you don't have one, you can buy one from here:
    http://amzn.to/2EHpKeJ

    ReplyDelete